Thursday, October 25, 2007

Expressions

We can do no great things, only little things with GREAT love

Mother Theresa


It's funny how we fantasize about a world other than what we live in. It's funny how I dream about a life I want someday. The closer I get to that, I realize, that sometimes it's not all it's cracked up to be.
Let me explain.
Last year at this time, I had fantastical thoughts about living the (dare I say it), "simple life". I actually think it was around this time that I got a lot of my clothes together and gave them away...man that felt great. I decided in my brain that I wanted to help people as a job and I wanted to live in Hamilton, to be amongst the marginalized and forsaken.
I felt like a good human being. I felt like just even dreaming, talking, and thinking about it that I was making a difference.
As many of you already know, I began working within the social service field. I work with teen moms and their babies.
I love it, I absolutely love it. I get to hold babies all day, some crying, some laughing, some sleeping, but all huge little buddles of love.
I just realized though, that this job is not easy. It's not easy, b/c I see and hear about horrible things that happen to these little humans. All of which, don't really have a choice in the matter. This job was definitely more glamourous in thought and dream.
I realized that sometimes changing the world, starts with one person. Starts by changing the world of ONE individual.
Sometimes we can make helping people seem like we were God's gift to the universe. Sometimes I can be prideful of the life I want to live. But with all sincerity, the more and more I start living it, the more and more I realize how much of a struggle it will be.
I realized that when people told me to "come and see", it is necessary to do so. Sometimes loving people means the littlest, simplest, expressions of care, touch, vulnerability, and availability.
It's been quite the experience working where I work. Sometimes I hear about things that should only ever happen in the movies...and even there is not necessary. To be honest with you, it's not glamourous, or remotely attractive.
Mother Theresa was a smart woman. She understood the fact that to change the face of the world, we need to realize that we can only do so, through the purest and kindest little acts of love.

No comments: