Monday, July 21, 2008

experiment revisited: dammit!










So, I've agreed to play in my first ever ultimate frisbee game tomorrow (first ever, meaning not just with friends where I cheat more than I play!).
Originally, I was going to bail out of the request to play by excusing myself with no skill and no confidence (I have a hard time being consistent with my tosses). But I went back and looked at my experiments with truth (from new years). Man, I've been failing in that department HUGE.
One of them was to try new things.
I realized that in not accepting the invitation to play in the game, I was being a huge chicken. I was letting my pride get the best of me.
It may seem so silly to you that I would get this worked up over a little game where the object is get a plastic disc across a line, where at the end of the game (regardless of who wins), you play games that get you "spirit points". Such games that make you look like a complete fool, games where you are on all fours and chant words like "mini tanks"....wierd, I know.
I decided that I wasn't going to let fear win again. As stupid as it might sound, this step in such a little thing, has made me see that I can take steps in bigger things in my life. I can beat my fears.
We'll see how tomorrow goes...if you think of it, send a little word up. I know I'll be shitting my pants all day tomorrow just thinking about it, but I also know that I will be okay. I'll still be living (hopefully) tomorrow night. And hopefully, I'll be a better person because of it, even in a little way.

Here are the people that made me do it:



Also:







Thank you. For believing in me enough to make me face my fears. Even the little ones!

1 comment:

cait said...

mands, i love your honesty- i am really excited to play with you and I fully (aka soccer) understand your fears. I can't wait to read your post game blog!

love.