Monday, January 5, 2009

Lessons Learned from a MASTER


well, i have an incredible boyfriend who actually inspired one of my experiments of truth from a previous blog--learning to think in the "If I think I can do it, I can" mentality.
which is such a hard concept to grasp.
of all people to be able to do this though, it's him.

at Christmas he made a lot of his presents for people, including a BEAUTIFUL hand carved lion book box for one of his small group guys...it was soo crazy.
it brought me back to this one day we were driving in the niagara region and on the side of the road at the end of someone's drive-way, there were people selling beautiful hand carved statues. These statues must've taken so much time to make. Of course, Sim turns to me and says, "It can't be THAT hard to do that eh?!" In which case I looked him, laughed a little and then realized he was serious. I proceeded to respond to the question in disgust that he would mock the time and effort, potentially sweat and tears the creator must've gone through to make that.
Little did I know that Sim was actually going to try it...and wildly succeed.
He developed this theory, "If you think you can, you can." It's really inspired me to do a lot of things. It has helped me face some of my fears. Yesterday I sang in front of a bunch of people...something I hadn't done in 5 years and something I thought would never be done again. I know this year will hold many, IF I THINK I CAN, I CAN moments, but to be honest with you, I'm rather excited.
Sim always calls himself a "jack of all trades, master of none." BUT I would argue that knowing the goodness of life and having the confidence to that, makes you a master of life.

So, here I go...we'll see where this takes me, but I'm quite enthusiastic about the outcomes of having such a perspective and look forward to the many MANY adventures I will be able to take because of this new philosophy.


No comments: